Member Karen (scenicshutterbug) wanted to create a tile mural for her outdoor kitchen space. The final size should be approx. 9 ft (ca 2.7m) wide by 3 ft (ca 0.9m) tall and she posted her first thoughts and asked for ideas and feedback in our Digital Artistry forum.
Karen has her own business that puts images onto hard surface products, such as on tile, placemats and coasters. She describes the production process of the tile mural like this:
"I ended up blowing the image up on my 30" monitor to about 500% and doing some editing at that level. Then I chopped up the image into the 12" x 12" size [ca. 30 x 30cm], blew that up and checked again. I found some fringing that I could not see until I looked at inpidual tile sizes. I was able to correct that and smooth out some jagged edges here and there. Then I double checked the crop to minimize any tile grout breaks in critical parts of the image.
Next, I printed just one of the tiles (one with part of the dock and part of the reflection) and checked that. It looked good, so I kept going. I just finished printing all of the full 12"x 12" tiles and I think they look really good. The next challenge will be to find a grout color that will work over the color range of the mural."
After receiving more input from other members, Karen proceeded and created the final product. She says: "Thank you so much for your suggestions and altenations for this image. I am so impressed with the creativity and the variety of treatments possible from the same capture.
It has been an interesting process of balancing the elements of the photograph as captured with the artistic treatment to create a piece of art. When adding to that the size of the enlargement and the proximity of the piece to viewing and I ultimately decided on a hybrid which incorporated pieces of the suggestions offered by everyone. While not as artistic as Preston or JD, I did make use of some techniques to soften the cloud layer and remove noise that was more noticeable at the enlarged size."
"I also used some gradient techniques suggested by Dan to lighten and brighten parts of the image while keeping some of the darker tones for contrast. I also tried to add some vibrance and intensity to the yellows in the clouds and sky as suggested by Leon's version.
Geoff and Larry your suggestions about printing a large mockup helped me find and fix some fringing on one of the dock pilings that was not visible on the smaller scale. This also helped me wait until another dolphin breached the surface a little further over in the image and added some interest on the left (LOL). JRP and Gerold, thanks for pointing out the crooked horizon. I also used a brush with smoothing turned on at 100% to even out a few spots on some fins that were not as sharp as I might have liked at such high magnification.
The final version that I used for the backsplash is attached as are a couple of shots at 100% crop. It was installed today using a clear grout which reflects some of the color in the tile around it, helping it to blend pretty well with the picture. In what has been wonderful about this process is that thanks to all of you, I also see so many other ways that this image can be processed for different purposes in the future.
Thanks so much!"
The complete discussion of Karen's mural, together with more images are in the Digital Artistry forum.
More articles that might interest you