This is the third part of the series Studio Photography: Shooting the $2million image - Working with people.
The pinnacle of the studio photographer’s art is concept. With everything set up according to your wishes, nothing will ever be better than your concept. The rest of the work is about making the final images live up to it. Of course, your concept may improve once you start photographing: in fact, it almost always will.
The next factor, though, which can disrupt whole shoots or, equally, turn dross into gold, is what we call in the trade ‘the human factor’.
One survey across many industries suggested that technical skills only accounted for around 20% of career success. The other 80%? Ability to work with people.
Final eye image © MartinTurner
Click for an enlargement
Let’s look at a shoot I did in 2012 for a business called Marksman Leisure. If you’re based in the UK and want to learn to shoot, or want to take a group of friends or businessmen shooting, then you should definitely look Marksman up. The brief was to put together a set of brand images for a rebrand.
Now, Mark, the owner, is a pretty easy guy to work with. I could come up with lots of examples of nightmare shoots, but what I want to talk about here is working with a good client to get an extraordinary result.
To read the rest of the article, please log in. This article is available to all Silver, Gold and Platinum Nikonians members. If you are not registered yet, please do so. To discover the world of Nikonians and the advantages of being a registered member, take our short discovery tour.
More articles that might interest you