New webinar coming up: Best of Nikonians annual review, 28-MAR-2024 4PM EST (for all members on Silver level and higher) >>> More info

X

Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

TIFF or DNG for Converted Files?

sfbillm

Is from: Santa Fe, US
870 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
sfbillm Registered since 15th Jun 2004
Thu 27-Feb-14 09:25 PM
I'm faced with having to save the files I've edited with CNX2 in a format that other programs can read, so I don't lose the edits when I move to another image processing app.
(If you don't know yet why this is necessary, see the screams of frustration on the Nikon imaging forum here.)

So my question is: TIFF or DNG? My impression is that TIFF is the more widely supported. I also seem to remember reading the specs on a processing app that indicated that it, at least, had some limitations in what it could do with DNG as opposed to TIFF. But I could be wrong about both.

But the converted TIFF files are hundreds of MBs in size. To use that format will require me to make a very significant (given current budget) investment in terabyte-sized storage.

I've carefully weighed the option of staying with CNX2, and decided for my situation that is not the best way to go. (If you're interested in that discussion, I again refer you to that other forum.)

Any guidance will be really appreciated.

SantaFeBill

G