Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

Nikon Raw (NEF ) format, EXIF, and Photoshop 7

Sun 06-Jul-03 02:38 PM
Hello all,

Please forgive my ignorance. I've had my Nikon D100 for many months now, but haven't used it a lot. I've just loaded and installed the latest version of Nikon View off the Nikon website (Nikon View 6), and things appear to work just fine, according the Nikon View manual, Appendix C 'Nikon NEF Plug-in'. I've not really done ANY shooting in Raw format, until today, and I have a few questions as a result of doing so.

1. Is there any real advantage to shooting in Nikon Raw (NEF) versus shooting in the TIFF mode (with the exception of file size and number of images on the memory card)? It looks like the only things you can do to the image, with the plug-in, is adjust exposure within +/- 2eV and adjust white balance if desired. Can I presume that NO image processing has been done to the Raw image at this point? That is, no internal sharpening, etc.? I've read that the main advantage to shooting in Raw format is to allow additional manipulations that otherwise aren't possible. What manipulations might those be? Help me understand what difference between shooting in NEF format and saving it as a .PSD file in PS7, as opposed to, say, shooting in TIFF format and saving in .PSD format.

2. When I look at File Info... under the File menu, and further select EXIF, there is no data. Is that normal when shooting in NEF mode? If shooting in NEF format, have I lost any information regarding the image, even such simple data as the time/date/exposure? If not, where is that data stored and where can I access it?

G