New webinar coming up: Best of Nikonians annual review, 28-MAR-2024 4PM EST (for all members on Silver level and higher) >>> More info

X

Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

Network Attached Storage Workflow

DaddySS DaddySS

Is from: Woodcliff Lake NJ, US
1618 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
DaddySS Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Ribbon awarded for  his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2017 Ribbon awarded for his generous contribution to the 2019 Fundraising campaign Nikonian since 26th Dec 2006
Mon 29-Aug-16 08:39 PM

The post about what happens when you die got me to thinking about my backup strategy. I just got a QNAP TS-451 to help with reliable backup and file synch of my photos for my PCs and mobile devices, and share with family and freinds. I set up the QNAP with three WD 4TB reds (for now) in a thick volume using RAID 5. I am not sure how to go about this workflow:

Download photos from Camera to main PC then copy the Raw files to the TS-451 - these become the untouched originals
Then copy the originals on the PC to another folder or directory and those become the working copies
Synch the working copies with the QNAP and other PCs and devices
I will then import the files to lightroom on my main PC, use photoshop and other editors, all in the working copy folder
Synch the lightroom catalog, and other working copies with the QNAP and other devices. In this way, edits made on one PC don't need to copied or exported to be able to work on them from the other PCs?
Back up the QNAP originals and working copies to an external drive
Back it up to a portable drive for offsite storage.

I know it's a lot but hope you can help with which apps to use for which steps so that it is as automated as possible.

I'm not sure if I'm over complicating but I am getting tired of copying files from one Device to the other, and having to move or export edits from one device to another. There are three PCs in the equation that I would like to keep in synch.

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Network Attached Storage Workflow

G