Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
msohio

Waite Hill, US
511 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
msohio Platinum Member Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his most generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Nikonian since 13th Jun 2013
Tue 22-Apr-14 04:03 AM

If anyone cares, I have found a very nice pairing for my D610 which I love. Debated the D800 and decided I just don't need the extra MP for what I shoot.

I decided the D610 was proving itself to be excellent for landscapes and light enough to travel well. I concluded the 24MP gave me enough crop room on a well framed image, so I had no reason to go higher for a second FX body, but I really did not want to give up MP either.

So I bought a used D3x for $3k with less than 25,000 clicks at BEH for these reasons: 24MP, very fast focus even in lower light situations, higher frames/sec., and ISO noise is under excellent control up to 6400. Yes, it is a bit of a lug in the weight department, but I use it for special circumstances that need its advantages, otherwise the D610 is the kit body of choice. The absolute primo example of use is my grandsons', 8,5 and 5, sporting events.

That's a perfect example of where it adds to my flexibility and is not on my shoulder for hours on end. Often use a monopod which I use fully collapsed and rest it on the top of my thigh of my slightly extended left leg, or in front of me with a wide canvas belt I wear with an attached 3" piece of plastic pipe that is 2" in diameter. My portable monopod foot rest, patent pending, lol. Both are rock solid and let you swing the camera with the turn of the torso without losing stability. Use a RRS monopod head.

Also good for evening shoots where the extra ISO and fast focus work well. Terrific night street camera with a f/1.4 lens and ISO pumped to 6400. In part because people cannot see what a monster it is in the dark and be so put off by it.

Had the combo a while as I borrowed a D3x for a month from a friend who was out of town to be sure their strengths matched up. For me they do very nicely as they are quite different in strengths while the IQ is a coin toss.

Be curious if I am the Lone Ranger in this thinking or others are happy with the D610 and D3x combo.

Because Attitude is Everything
......LiveSTRONG....Mike

Visit: http://msohio.smugmug.com

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D610's mate