Right in time because I have a wedding to shoot tomorrow!
I will post some sample pics this week but so far the thing is amazing... I am coming from the D700 and the best I have noticed so far is:
1. The D610 settings are much like the D700. I know the D700 was one of the only camera's in Nikon's linup to have a customizable FN or Preview button that could go right to your Commander Mode settings. Other camera's after didn't have that... Well its back in the D610! I use that feature a ton...
2. I had the zoom in and out. Seems different from what I am used to.
3. Video mode will probably never get used. No issues, I just use my cameras to take pictures.
4. The images coming out of this thing are the perfect size! Not too big like the D800 and not 12mp like the D700. I think the 18-24mp range is great for general wedding and portrait photography. If you do high fashion, model or landscape work then the D800 is for you.
5. The ISO is mind boggling! My first shot was done at H2 and it looked as good / if not better than my D700's 3200 and 6400... I can't wait to try some light and ISO tests at the reception.
6. The White Balance is stellar. I had a hang-up with the D700 being heavy on the red tones for skin tones and it was always a chore to color correct white balance. If I didn't nail the custom white balance in camera then it was a PITA and time killer. I feel like this camera will shave off post-processing time exponentially with how much more accurate the white balance is.
7. It definitely weighs less. I picked up an after-market vertical grip as well and the weight is definitely lighter than the D700. The profile is a tad smaller as well.
Long story short, I wasn't thrilled to upgrade. I loved my D700 so much. After a couple shots I was sold and have no problem putting my D700 to the curb.
It's amazing what 2-3 years of technical advances does in this industry...
Good luck, and enjoy your new D610. I also have both the D610 and D700. Aside from a couple of external controls I like better on the D700, I am also impressed with the image quality from the D610. I agree about the high ISO performance and take shots at settings I never dreamed off years ago. I'm still going to use the D700 as my main camera for weddings but will use the D610 with a specific lens for extra shots.
So my Nikon D610 has been with me since late-March and here is what I have found:
Once in a great while I get a never ending spinning hour glass when image is being written to card... I use high-end Sandisk Extreme Plus Class 10 32GB cards so that should be a non-issue.
Also, I am having some battery issues. On a vacation this weekend I noticed that my batteries would be reporting 100% dead and then come back to live on me when switching them out. I thought it was my aftermarket battery grip so I removed that... Issue still remained. I re-charged all my batteries when I got home to make sure this won't be a recurring issue (thank God it wasn't on a client job. Eeek!)
All in all, great camera. I just wish I could get to the bottom of these two issues. Here are some recent photo shoots I did with the D610...
I'm using the D610 now as my main wedding camera. D700 had been demoted to back-up status. Regarding batteries, I've found that Nikon batteries are just better and more reliable. Had an aftermarket battery a few year's ago that stopped holding a charge.