Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D610 Auto ISO Minimum Shutter Speed Adjust v Focal Length

Jim Mohundro

Seattle, US
450 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Jim Mohundro Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Jul 2008
Fri 21-Feb-14 03:24 AM

I've just mostly completed superficially setting up my new D610 and squeezed off a quick couple of the obligatory cat images to test the AF-on configuration of the AEL/AFL back button. While I was entering these first few settings I remembered that a new (that is, I don't think or never realized whether it was part of the Auto ISO settings for my D700, for example) feature appears to have been added and that apparently the D610 can automatically recognize the focal length of almost all modern CPU lenses mounted on the D610, and more, that the minimum shutter speed could be set at a faster speed than 1/focal length. Based on that remembered function I looked for and found the setting in the menus and increased the setting to one notch faster than "normal" which presumably represents the focal length of the lenses currently mounted.

There's very little information on this setting, not surprisingly, in the Nikon operating manual and I've been holding off from ordering the Thom guide until the D610 version is issued (as some have posted here, the 610 is not very changed from the 600, but Thom says he will be issued the 610 guide rather than addenda to the 600 so I'll hang around for that one).

I didn't note the shutter speed in my viewfinder while I was making the kitty shots and I want to burn a few more frames before I download to Lightroom.

Here, at last, are my questions: 1) I was shooting with my 28mm f/1.8G, aperture priority. Would the D610 shutter be operated at 1/28 or some higher or lower round number determined by some Nikon limit formula (although I'd like to think that since were shooting with a computer, it would be numerically exactly the same as the focal length), and 2) by selecting on the Auto ISO one notch faster than normal, does that mean roughly or exactly twice the shutter speed, say 1/56?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G