Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

"Reaching the "New" AF-0n Button?

Jim Mohundro

Seattle, US
450 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Jim Mohundro Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Jul 2008
Wed 12-Feb-14 12:07 AM

I'm on the cusp of trading in my D700 and D300, which are getting too heavy for long-day carrying for this oldster, on a new D610, likely as early as this Friday. I've handled the D610 and Df briefly in my brick and mortar store of first choice (there is an alternate store from which I'll ask a trade-in quote if my preconceived, hoped-for trade-in amount is not closely matched) and I'll spend more time this time with the D610 before I fully commit (by this time I think I've read more than enough on this and other forums to focus, so to speak, on its pros and cons as I will expect to fit it in as the FX cornerstone in the photographic component of my life).

I focus solely with the AF-on button on my existing Nikon bodies (and the AEL/AFL button on my travel camera, a Panasonic GX1 M4/3). Some I think have complained here about the "missing" D610 AF-on button, but it is clear that the D610's AE/AF button can be reprogrammed to be the AF-on button, so, with my Panasonic experience and the fact that I've not used the AE function on any of my Nikons (I formerly also shot with a D80 and D200), I see this as no real problem for my use of the D610, and, in fact, since the D610 body back is narrower side to side, the AEL/AFL button may be not further away, but actually closer to my thumb than the dedicated AF-on button on the other bodies.

Have others here, assuming they either do not use the AE functions of the AE button or have reprogrammed them to other and alternate D610 buttons, found the "thumb focusing" difference not that very much different?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: "Reaching the "New" AF-0n Button?

G