Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D610 MF Focus Screen?

houdel

Chase, MI, US
228 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
houdel Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jan 2014
Thu 06-Feb-14 02:25 PM

I'll be getting a modest financial windfall in a month or so and plan on investing a good part of it in a new Nikon D610 and Tamron SP 24-70 mm f/2.8 DI VC USD lens. My budget doesn't have room for much more in the way of new glass, so I am buying some Nikkor legacy lenses to expand and round out my Nikon kit. My first purchase, which arrived on Monday, was a Nikkor AF 70-210 mm f/4.0 S (no 3D matrix metering but otherwise quite usable). Since I don't now own a Nikon body, I decided to try out my new Nikkor lens on my Canon EOS 20D using a Fotodiox Nikon to Canon EOS lens adapter.

Of course I was in full manual mode as there is no way to couple the Nikkor lens to the Canon body, but having lengthy experience with film cameras that was not a problem. I was pleasantly surprised with the results, got a few good shots, and quickly learned two things. One, my Nikkor was considerably sharper than both my Canon 18-55 kit lens and my Tamron 28-200 lens, no real big surprise there. And two, achieving a sharp manual focus on a plain matte digital focus screen is not an easy thing to do! I do anticipate the need to at least occasionally manually focus my D610 in the future, so that possibility brings up a few questions:

1. Are there split image focus screens available for the Nikon D610?

2. Would they still display the AF area brackets?

3. Would they still display the selectable viewfinder grid lines?

4. What is involved in replacing a D610 focus screen?

5. Is replacing a focus screen on the D610 something a reasonably adept tinkerer could accomplish, or even want to do?

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D610 MF Focus Screen?

G