Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

U1 and U2 User Settings Replaced Memory Banks?

Jim Mohundro

Seattle, US
450 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Jim Mohundro Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Jul 2008
Sun 19-Jan-14 06:41 PM

It's only fairly recently that I've come about 98% of the way to a D610. As an oldster, I'm finding it more and more wearing to tote either my D700 or even my D300 around on long days, particularly with any substantial lens (my 24-120mm f/4 VR seems to be becoming a big hunk and the 28 f/1.8G has become my "compromise" favorite with both bodies for casual, walk-around use). I've gone over completely to my Panasonic GX1 for European travel, leaving its small 14-45mm zoom mounted most of the day.

Because my D610 yen is pretty current I didn't read much early on about the D600 and its successor so I hadn't realized until a few days ago that the good old, reliable but sometimes awkward four memory banks for favored situation settings (portraits, BIF, sports, available light, etc.) seem to have been replaced by the U1 and U2 user settings.

I've always appreciated the work of the Nikonians who developed extensive Excel spreadsheets for memory banks settings for the previous Nikon bodies, but found, as I used those and attempted the work to develop a couple for my own use own for my own use, two sets were usually more than adequate and four seemed like overkill.

Am I correct that the four memory bank option has disappeared in the 600/610 bodies (I can't find it in the online manual), and is replaced by the U1 and U2 user settings?

I'm fairly sure that the new system (assuming I'm correct about the change) will work well for my flexibility needs. Fellow Nikonians: How has it worked for you?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G