Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

A Prospective D610 Buyer's Questions

Jim Mohundro

Seattle, US
450 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Jim Mohundro Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Jul 2008
Sun 05-Jan-14 07:34 PM | edited Sun 05-Jan-14 07:36 PM by Jim Mohundro

I'm a relatively recent Nikonian (2008) and prospective purchaser of a new D610.

Although I'm not a veteran of this forum, I'm certainly one in photographic life, having started with an Ansco "Shur-Shot" box camera (how many here will have even heard of Ansco?) in 1947 or 1948, traveling through life with at least three Leicas, three or four Kodak Retinas (a IIIC of which I still own and used for travel up until my first Canon, a digital S40 Powershot in 2004), a few odd other brands, a Zeiss Ikoflex TLR and two Rolleiflexes, trying to hone my digital image-making skills with a D80 and D200, and now working with a D700 and D300, and a Panasonic GX1 M43 for travel.

I had considered a big and fairly costly move to the D800 or 800e, but not only have posters here, but also retail, brick-and-mortar store vendors have suggested that, with the 36Mp D800, pretty meticulous attention must be paid to camera steadiness and tripod shooting is recommended where feasible. The D610 is notably lighter than either my D700 or the D300 and, walking around on long days with either camera is no longer an enjoyable excercise, hence the GX1 for travel. I've handled the D610 in-store for a few minutes a couple of times and find, for my small/average hands, the ergonomics to match comfortably my D300 and to be clearly superior to my D700 (of course, your results may vary). The D610, while slightly thicker, front to rear, is not quite as wide as either the D700 or the D300, and the angle of the grip seems slightly more comfortable to my right hand (I can occasionally, but not often, hold the D300 for the odd one-hand shot when absolutely necessary, the D700 is just a bit too much for me, and the D610 feels relatively comfortable for occasional one-hand use).

Finally, to my questions: 1) do the D610's auto ISO options include the "automatic" minimum shutter speed setting that will match the lens focal length, e.g., with my 24-120mm f/4 VR mounted, may I set the minimum so that, sensing that lens is mounted, the minimum shutter speed would be 1/250 or, with my 28mm f/1.8 mounted, the minimum shutter speed would be set to, say, 1/60, always assuming, of course, that I use aperture priority, and that the ISO will be automatically set (within pre/set limits) accordingly), and, related
to this issue, will the 24Mp sensor be a bit more forgiving of camera steadiness than will the D800's 36mp?, and

2) I recently viewed a YouTube video reviewing the D610, including about half an hour a street shooting in the evening in New York City. One statement by the director/producer/d610 photographer was that the CAMB 4800 focusing component was an improvement over the same focusing component on the D600. Aren't they, in fact, identical?

The photographer also touted the ability of the D610's "crop mode" to, in effect, create the effect of a longer lens, narrowing the point of view of the subject. Is not that effect (that of a 10.5Mp sensor) in terms of IQ, i.e., resolution, etc, exactly the same as a post-processing crop emulating precisely that same image and point of view, but without the obviousl flexibility of cropping in post?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: A Prospective D610 Buyer's Questions

G