Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D610 Auto Focus Fine Tune

bobgn1

US
24 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
bobgn1 Gold Member Nikonian since 25th Jun 2006
Sun 05-Jan-14 12:47 PM

One of my pet peeves, from my previous DSLR experience with a D200 and various Nikor AF lenses, has been that AF does not routinely produce tack sharp focus. The focus is almost always good, but not tack sharp (I know - it is not a well defined term).

I noticed that the new D610 has an 'AF Fine Tune' option in the Setup menu that allows for establishing an incrementally nearer or farther focus point for each of up to 12 lenses. Interestingly, the User's Manual recommends NOT using this feature except "when required," whatever that may mean.

Before I launch off into a series of experiments, can any D610 users comment on their experience with this option? Does it produce useful results? Does the correct focal point correction vary with focal distance? Does the correct focal point correction vary with time, temperature, or other common variable?

Given the proliferation of bracketing options that are provided with the camera, this might have been an interesting additional bracketing option to have provided.

Robert Goodwin

G