Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Durability and Fracture Resistance" of Front-end "Plastic" Elements of the D610

Jim Mohundro

Seattle, US
450 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Jim Mohundro Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Jul 2008
Sat 07-Dec-13 05:49 PM

I'm about ready to go for the D610 as a very modest "upgrade" from my venerable D700. Unfortunately, for me as a septagenerian, the D700 is getting to be just a bit too much of a chunk of camera body to haul around for any significant part of the day and the modest weight savings and the pretty good (dare I say perhaps even better for me) ergonomics of the D610 are an attractive incentive.

I know I'll be giving up an essentially all magnesium D700 body for a magnesium/polycarbonate D610 body, which may be part of the weight savinds, and in principle that doesn't bother me (I happily used a non-metal bodied D80 for several years).

However, I've recently read in another forum a post from a D600/D610 owner who mounted the f/4 VR 700-200 on his Nikon and, in the course of use, bumped into some obstacle and (mostly) ripped the lens from what he described as the "plastic lens mount", implyng that, if the mount had been metal like the mounts on the "pro" Nikons, little or no damage would have occurred.

What positive or negative structural or other experiences have Nikonians members had with the hybrid construction of the D610 or D600 (I assume there is no difference in this element between the two models)?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Durability and Fracture Resistance" of Front-end "P...
Reply message Well , sorry guys....
Reply message RE: Well , sorry guys....

G