Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Jim Mohundro

Seattle, US
450 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Jim Mohundro Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Jul 2008
Wed 27-Nov-13 06:28 PM | edited Wed 27-Nov-13 11:27 PM by Jim Mohundro

As I try to decide on my "upgrade" from a D700 (the weight is becoming a bit of an issue for this older guy over a long day) to a D800 (but, can I hand-hold a non-VR lens for available light images; a tripod/monopod is not always available or acceptable or handy in some venues?) or even the mysterious Df (the weight saving is very attractive, the sensor is great, the price is not
If I want to shoot video, I'll buy a video camera.

The D610 does seem like a reasonable compromise (price, Mp, some modest weight improvement over the D700), assuming the oil issue has been resolved.

I'm a somewhat unreconstructed Nikon F shooter but I've gotten used to autofocus and rsther like it for all but macro and tripod landscape images. However, I never developed the half shutter button press AF and want to continue to use the AF-on method with which I'm very comfortable.

1. Can I simply program any function button on the D610 for AF-on, fire shutter on release?

2. On the D610 will the AF-0n button (or its programmed, functional substitute Fn button) actuate VR, like the D800 but unlike the D700?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Two D610 Questions