Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
dezignit

Melbourne, AU
14 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
dezignit Registered since 31st May 2013
Tue 19-Nov-13 08:33 AM

Hi Folks,

Firstly after only a few months of membership, I would like say that this is just a fabulous website with some fantastic contributors. Having said that, I need some guidance please.

So.... I have owned Nikons for almost 30 years now starting with the FM (giving away my vintage). Some six months ago after a beautiful relationship with a D90, I ventured into full frame territory with a new D600. I can honestly say that it turned out to be one of my worst purchasing episodes ever. Granted, I was using high end "non Nikon" lenses on a D600 and that in itself was a problem due to a lack of understanding as to whether the camera or the lenses were at fault.

In a nutshell, the issues were:
1) A dirty sensor - which did not bother me because as an engineer, I quickly learned to clean it myself with great results as with my D90.
2) Battery life was appalling - approx 260 - 280 pics per charge. This did not change even after a Nikon "service" and a battery change.
3) The worst focusing performance ever - even after a service company "tuned" the lenses to the body, whilst it did improve things, the miss rate was still around 40 - 50%. I bought a number of books (Thom Hogan etc) to check whether my technique was at fault, to no avail.
In short, Nikon themselves were appalling and simply washed their hands of the whole issue and kept blaming the lenses whilst the lens manufacturer kept blaming Nikon. After six months of frustration, I eventually ended up selling the whole package (at a massive loss) just to end the to and fro.

Now, I am stuck with a heap of legacy Nikon gear with no camera - LOL. Essentially I would like to know where things are at with the D610 release or the D800 that had focusing issues. I guess I am looking for a good reason to not jump to another brand and even though I have not mustered the courage to do so, I eventually will if there does not appear to be any good news at the end of the Nikon tunnel. Please understand that this is not a rant about sensor spots or other meaningless rubbish - it is about a real loss of confidence in the brand. Was this a freak incident, or is this a Nikon trend???

Regards,

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D600 history