Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
msohio

Waite Hill, US
512 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
msohio Platinum Member Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his most generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Nikonian since 13th Jun 2013
Sun 03-Nov-13 02:38 PM

I appreciate the feedback I got regarding longer lenses for my new D610, my first FX body. I have good primes from the 20mm to the 105mm, six in all. I had nothing longer than my 105mm Micro. You collectively urged me to think about a longer zoom. I took your advice and ordered 70-300.

I have a brother who has gone from the D5100 to the D7000 and it a better photographer than me as far as composition goes. And he has been a zoom man with the exception of one low light prime, a 35mm or 50mm not sure. He is thinking of taking the FX plunge and wanted to see how his DX zooms looked on the D610 with it set to auto detect a DX lens.

I have to say I was very surprised at the quality of those images. My FX lenses shoot a RAW file of about 30 meg and the DX ones come out to about 13-14 meg. I know it is half the size, but we don't need a very long memory to know we were elated when a 12 meg file was the top-of-the-line.

I know from our forums here, and seeing other reviews, that FX dedicated f/2.8 and lower lenses are well better than DX only lenses on any FX body. Actually having see my brother's lenses on my FX body, I am not so sure that there are DX "only" lenses any more when the D610 can detect them automatically and produce a very good 12 meg RAW file.

Clearly not what you want on the shorter focal length end when the FX shines. But if you want a "decent", not professional telephoto lens, the DX mode and an almost 15 meg file ain't bad. I should say I do not normally print bigger than 16x20, usually 8x10, so a 15 meg file is fine with "decent DX" glass. Or so it seems.

Just an observation that might be useful to someone trending to try a FX body and thinking all their DX lenses would be unworthy. Shorter DX lense are not so good, but longer ones seem actually not so bad. Sure points out to me where the new glass dollars might go in terms of focal length if one was a DX body user and switched to FX. Short first and longer later would be my advice.

Because Attitude is Everything
......LiveSTRONG....Mike

Visit: http://msohio.smugmug.com

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D610 with DX Lens

G