Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D600 Shutter Count Mystery--Or Not

JerryLoSardo

Frederick, US
1097 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
JerryLoSardo Gold Member Charter Member
Mon 14-Oct-13 10:59 PM | edited Mon 14-Oct-13 11:00 PM by JerryLoSardo

So I purchased a refurbished D600 through Adorama several weeks ago and so far I'm very happy with the camera. However, I'm somewhat puzzled as to the actual shutter count. This evening I shot a jpeg image and uploaded it to nikonshuttercount.com. The shutter count came back as 1320 actuations. But for that same jpeg the camera assigned a file number of 3526. I checked my d7 custom setting for file number sequence and confirmed that it was set to "On" (the default, and also my personal choice) . To refresh your memory, the "On" option for this setting means the following (taken from page 230 of the D600 user's manual):

"When a new folder is created, the memory card formatted, or a new memory card inserted in the camera, file numbering continues from the last number used or from the largest file number in the current folder, whichever is higher. If the photograph is taken when the current folder contains a photograph numbered 9999, a new folder will be created automatically and the file numbering will begin again from 0001".

In plain English, I interpret this to mean that as long as I inserted an empty SD card into the camera (which I did from day one), the file numbering should continue until it reaches 9999, at which time it will roll over to 0001. And, during this initial 9999 photos, the file number should equal the number of shutter actuations. So how does one explain the discrepancy of 2200 actuations?

My theory is that this refurb had its shutter replaced 1320 actuations ago, and the file number is based on the number of photographs taken as recorded in the camera's internal memory, which includes the actuations from both the old and new shutter. Let me be clear that the actual discrepancy isn't an issue to me; I'm just trying to wrap my head around the "why" of it. What say the rest of you? Am I on track or off base?

Jerry LoSardo
Frederick, Maryland

Visit My Nikonians Gallery

G