Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D600 First Impressions

Patrick604

US
85 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Patrick604 Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jun 2012
Thu 20-Sep-12 06:38 AM

The UPS guy was very kind to me on Wednesday by delivering my D600 around 10 a.m. Of course, I was at work at the time so I didn't get to play with it for HOURS!

Having used the D7000 for the past year and a half, I felt right at home with the D600. The menus and setup are pretty straightforward for all basic functions and controls. I will have to read the manual for some features like in camera HDR, and setting the U1 & U2 buttons that I never messed with on the D7000 since it was a pool camera.

This camera is a bit bigger than the D7000, and noticeably larger than the F-100. It has good heft, and feels solid in the hand. Ergonomics are excellent. One point I mentioned on another thread was the round selector switch on the back that you use to navigate the menues, select focus points, etc. My initial impression is that this is not quite as solid as the rest of the body. It does work just fine, it's very responsive and I did not move the focus points around with my nose when I brought the camera to my eye.

I charged the battery and popped in some new Sony 16 GB UHS-1 memory cards, rated for 94MB/s read, 45 MB/s write. With the camera set up for RAW + JPG Fine, it shows 299 photos remaining on freshly formatted cards. I noticed my RAW files were about 30.5 MB when I transferred them with NX2.

I put on a 24mm f/2.8 AFD lens and headed out into some nearby woods with my daughter to see if we could find anything interesting to give this camera a workout. After some general shooting to try out the various features, I found a tree that was knocked over in a storm and set up my tripod to get some photos for comparison.

I uploaded a series of photos into my gallery, and will try to link it below. Using a tripod and the self timer (forgot my release cord, ooops), manual focus and manual exposure, I took a photo at ISO 100 up through 6400 in full stop increments.

The resulting images show excellent noise control throughout the exposure range. I was shooting in dim woods, rather than a cityscape in the middle of the night, so there are no large swaths of black sky to evaluate noise. I did, however, pull some 100% crops from two darker areas of the image for comparison.

I'll let you know up front that focus was set at 5 feet with f/10 to maximize depth of field, but the areas I used to crop were not in the sweet spot. They do give a good idea of the noise levels at the various ISO's, which was the point of the exercise.

The resolution of this camera really is outstanding based on the portraits I took of my daughter with a 50mm and 90mm lens. I am not posting those, however, so you will have to wait for some other pics to be uploaded over the coming weeks. The image quality of this camera is astounding.

I did not do any rigorous testing of the focus points, left and right, but I did use them in the field and did not notice any problems with the results.

That's all for now. If you are waiting for this camera, you will probably love it. If you are on the fence about this camera, it looks like a solid performer.

I am going to try to link to my gallery pictures below, but I have never done this before so I may need to come back and correct it if I did not get it right.

Patrick

Link to my Nikonians Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D600 First Impressions