Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Auto-ISO and non-CPU lenses - Am I missing something?

CAinCA

Redlands, US
3 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
CAinCA Registered since 05th Apr 2013
Tue 30-Apr-13 06:37 PM

Hello all.

I have a D600 and a modest collection of MF non-CPU (ai and ai-S) lenses. I can't for the life of me figure out how auto-ISO and the auto-shutter speed options work.

I have input the focal length and apertures of my lenses in the non-CPU lens bank, and my exposures are fine at fixed ISO values. However if I enable auto-ISO and the automatic minimum shutter speed, I seem to get only absurdly high shutter speeds and ISOs in aperture-priority mode.

For example, I have a 75-150 f/3.5 Series-E which is configured as a 105/3.5 (as a compromise) in the non-CPU lens bank. I tried both indoors and out, and I never got below ISO 1250, with a crazy 1/2000 shutter speed outside, or ISO 5000 with a 1/320th shutter inside. I tried all of the fast/slow options in the automatic shutter settings menu and it didn't seem to make any difference.

I feel that I understand how it is supposed to work, as with my 28-105 3.5-4.5D AF lens, everything works normally in Auto-ISO - i.e. the shutter is 1/focal length in the middle setting and faster or slower by 1-stop increments in either direction.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance from a Nikonians newbie.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Auto-ISO and non-CPU lenses - Am I missing somethin...

G