Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Redesigning Nikon Custom User Modes

sunilchand

US
25 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
sunilchand Registered since 05th Dec 2012
Tue 30-Apr-13 02:50 AM

Hi there,
I am a great fan of the Nikon custom user modes (U1 and U2) and have enjoyed using it both on the D7000 and the D600. While I find these modes significantly better than the memory banks available in other Nikon cameras, I still think it could be made a bit more flexible and user-friendly.
The main problem I find with the custom modes is that 2 are seldom enough to represent the various kind of light situations/photography subjects that I typically shoot. So I end up having to remember and change these every time I have to change the shooting context. I may have configured U1 for Portraits under broad day light but may have to change later to Portraits indoors/dark. The U2 may have already been configured for Candids or landscapes or something else…
The memory banks does offer a great feature as it allows you to build a lot more custom permutations that you can store - but yes, i agree it is not that easy as they are not sticky and it takes time to choose the 2 banks… In this case, I think Nikon has limited to just 2 custom banks probably due to physical space restrictions on the camera dial. So I was thinking maybe there's a better way for building these custom modes - what if the camera allowed you to create as many custom modes as possible (other than just U1, U2), (and to prevent confusion, let's call these new things User Scenes) and allowed you to provide a custom name for each. This is very similar to the standard Scenes mode, but in this case these would be all User Scenes. So using this I could create as many User Scenes as I want - for example,

Landscapes - Tripod
Landscapes - Handheld
Portrait - Outdoor
Portrait - Indoor
Portrait - Flash
Portrait - Studio
Landscape - Macro

Each of these "User Scenes" work exactly as the current Customer User modes and would all be sticky within themselves. Now, at any point of time to use this, all we have to do is point the 2 custom modes U1 and U2 to any one of these User Scenes. Now this gives you the best of both worlds - you can quickly switch between U1 and U2. You don't have to worry about changing anything anytime - when you need to shoot a different context, just repoint U1 or U2 to another User Scene.
All of this would most likely not require any hardware changes and could be done just through software. If you folks think there's some value in a solution similar to this, maybe the Nikon engineers can grace us by providing this through an upcoming software update on the D7100/D600!

Thoughts/comments?
Thx,
Sunil

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Redesigning Nikon Custom User Modes

G