Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D600 Image Transfer Clitch

jdroach

Milwaukee, US
7120 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his most generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009
Wed 03-Apr-13 12:44 PM

I want to share a recent experience with my D600 that I had never had happen to me before with my D700, D7000 or the older D90. Be wary of cable transfer with Nikon View NX2 and the Transfer 2. I have always known that it is important for all to know the "when and how" to use both RAW and JPEG in of each case out of the camera depending on how quickly the image is needed to share results. As a footnote, I would like to say that 90 percent of the time I shoot only RAW. I virtually always process my RAW images to where I eventually want them.

However, on a recent trip to the Arctic, I set "unwittingly" my camera to RAW and JPEG so I got each on my new Nikon D600 memory cards. This was the first time I transferred images from my D600 using the cable transfer and Nikon Transfer 2 to my MacBook Pro. I had done so frequently on my 27 inch iMac at home with no cable transfer issues. That puzzles me, still. However, thank goodness, on this trip, I had set for both RAW and JPEG, since I had a clitch when transferring the RAW images that could not be read by CS6 and LR 4.3 when I cable transferred using Nikon Transfer onto my MacBook. I never had such a problem with my D700 and D7000 or my D90 on any of my machines.

At least I was able to share with others while still in the Arctic due to my JPEG images, since I could only look at my JPEG images in LR4.3 and minimally adjust for exposure, etc. I could only read the RAW image in Capture NX2 (which I rarely use for post processing--that would take me some remedially training to do that very quickly--I still need Winston Hall's Nikonian Course for that) until I got home and copied the files from the original memory cards directly to my iMac and imported into LR4.3, etc.. Anyway, the point is, it appears with the newer Nikon NEF RAW files created on the Nikon D600 (I heard a similar comment from someone regarding the D800, but do not know that for a fact), that some incompatibility exists between the Nikon Transfer Software and the Adobe products.

Thus, I was truly glad I had some JPEGs at the moment instead of waiting a week or more later and a couple phone calls with Adobe and Nikon. When I got home, I had no problem copying the images from the SD cards onto the computer and importing them directly into LR4.3 or opening in CS6. I will still probably shoot mostly in RAW, but I learned (1) copy from the memory card directly into to Lightroom and do not use Nikon Transfer, and (2) be glad to have created and used JPEG if you need the image ASAP.

Does anyone have any thoughts, suggestions or additions to this experience? Has anyone experienced this problem? If so what did you do? I know, I was perplexed by it and sure was glad that I had accidentally setup for both RAW and JPEG which I rarely do. Thoughts?

jdroach

Click on image to view larger version

Click on image to view larger version

Visit my Nikonian gallery
See my Website at jdroachphotography.com
See My Flickr Photostream

G