Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

My D600. A $2,000+ paperweight

This topic is locked. This message is locked.
Richschiff

US
39 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Richschiff Registered since 21st Oct 2012
Mon 25-Mar-13 05:49 AM

I have shot Nikon for years... Loved the film cameras. Problems? Some as my cameras were heavily used... the F2 and F3 being my favorites... But always rectified by good Nikon service.

In October I bought a new D600. It is wonderful. Huge DR... Love the feel and flexibility BUT the oil and debris have rendered it all but useless.

Don't listen to these fanboys that say "Just clean it... No problem". NOT! I clean mine and 30 cycles later there is crud all over the sensor, and I NEVER change lenses as I only have one.

The real problem is that if you are traveling you will end up with hundreds of great images that need extensive post processing with at least PS CS6 content aware healing to be usable.

To spend this kind of money on a camera body and have such shoddy... ( and there is no other description of this but shoddy ) workmanship is unconscionable.

Nikon has acknowledged the Situation... Kinda sorta, but even at this late date shoddy contaminated bodies are still being sold. One would have thought tha Nikon would have jumped on this and fixed it... even if not wanting to publicly acknowledge such a massive foul-up... but no.

Some say this is a rare and isolated problem... it is not as many reviewers have seen the problem on the D600s they have tested. The problem is NOT a few isolated cases but widespread. Ask the folks at lens rentals. Some people have bought 3-4 bodies... All contaminated. Many have sent their cameras to Nikon multiple times with NO resolution.

Don't be a sucker.

Wait for a few months or get another make or a D800. I would rather deal with a focus problem any day than a dustbin.

I know the Canon 6D is no match for the D600 image wise but at least the files will be usable with little repair needed in Post Processing.

It's just a damn shame.

G