Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

TECHNICAL dust/oil question

poc

US
325 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
poc Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2008
Sat 23-Mar-13 06:56 PM

First of all, this is not a complaint and my question may be more generic than D600 specific. I am simply searching for some technical information that I was unable to find in previous postings on this thoroughly discussed topic.

My D600 has approximately 4700 actuations. I had noticed some dust at the outset, but was able to blow off the particles. I am outdoors a lot and change lenses so dust is a fact of life. In testing out a new lens today I discovered a number of spots on the images. some of them were irregular in shape, others slightly larger and circumferential. Neither appears to go away with camera sensor clean or air.

Before spending a lot of time researching this, my questions are:
1. Is there a way to determine whether the spots are from dust or oil ?
2. Does it make a difference ?
3. If it is oil, is it treated differently ?

If I decide to have the sensor professionally cleaned I can think of two options.
1. With the extended warranty I purchased with the Camera at Calumet, Chicago I get two sensor cleanings but I have to send it in to the warranty holder (don't recall the company). 2. If I use Nikon under the regular camera warranty do I have to send it in as well or can I find a Chicago based authorized Nikon dealer?
3. Other options? I don't want to clean it myself.

Hopefully, some of you knowledgeable Nikonians can same me the leg work.

In advance, thank you.

POC

http://cabreraphoto.smugmug.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G