Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D600 settings for indoor track

poc

US
320 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
poc Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2008
Tue 05-Feb-13 12:56 AM

Hello all,
This would be posted in a different section, but my questions are specific to the settings on this camera.
I am ging to be photographing my son's H.S. indoor track meet this Friday and would appreciate some recommendations on D600 settings.

I'll be shooting with the 24-85 VR which should be an ideal range in close quarters. I will not have a monopod and will need to move around. The 70-200 VR II will come out in the outdoor track season. 2.8 would be nice for light and isolation, but this is not a big place and I will be photographing him coming around the corners and straight at me. I do not anticipate that there will be much room for readjustment so I need to go in well prepared. The good thing is he runs 1600 meters so he will be coming around a few times.

1. ISO settings. I could test a few shots and just play with it but I am tempted to use auto ISO with a maximum of 6400. I have dialed this into the u1 setting. Better ideas?

2. Autofocus. as I shoot mainly landscape, this is where I really need help. Autofocus continuous I would assume. Do I shoot 3d setting or 39 points? Because of the fast action and limited space, would I be better off setting the focus manually and increasing the f stop for depth of field?

3. I always use the back button for autofocus. I am used to it. Would I lock in as soon as I find him in the pack and just leave my thumb on the button while shooting multiple shots?

4. Metering- This place has fairly even, lousy lighting so my thought is to use matrix meeting. Would using spot metering for exposure and focusing together be an advantage?

5. VR - will this slow anything down?

Thank you in advance for any insights. If I've missed anything, don't hesitate to jump in.

POC

http://cabreraphoto.smugmug.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D600 settings for indoor track