Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D600, Lenses and compactness of overall system

Ray B

Worthing, UK
210 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Ray B Registered since 17th Dec 2008
Tue 29-Jan-13 09:32 PM | edited Tue 29-Jan-13 09:37 PM by Ray B

I's like to discuss the D600 in broader terms of an FX system and I'm intrigued to hear what fellow Nikonians think. In particular lenses and the issue of "compactness" vs image quality and thus in a way specific to the D600 so I hope it's ok to post here as I'm seeking a discussion rather than advice really.

With the broad view in mind I hope this thread sits well in this forum rather than the lens forum...

Anyhow...

We've had the 2.8 Trinity for a good while now and the merits of these lenses don't need to be debated really! But over the last couple of years Nikon has supplemented that trio with the 4.0 equivalent 16-35/24-120/70-200 4.0VR. We've also now got the 1.8 primes 28/50/85mm to sit alongside their 1.4 counterparts.

Whilst these lenses have been adopted by a plethora of Nikonians (me included) for use on both DX and FX bodies the debate has often been piecemeal on an individual lens by lens basis as to the merits and drawbacks of each new offering.

Subsequently we've had the D800 and especially D600 launch and again their merits have been discussed ad infinitum.

What I don't see discussed is something I think (personally) is a major coup for Nikon. They had a strategy for sure!

Let me explain. When I bought a D700 back in 2008 I bought a 24-70mm 2.8 to go alongside. Awesome combo, but for me it was too heavy for my amateur daily use. So I got a DX kit to sit alongside.

Or, simply put, you wring the best out of the 2.8 Trinity on the best FX bodies, which at the time were also moderately to very heavy compared to DX.

If you need 2.8 or the very best then you will use it, DX or FX and fair play.

Meanwhile, fast forward to the D600 and the point of this post...

The D600 appeals to those that:

1. Want to move to FX for whatever reason, at the lowest cost
2. Were at FX already but want the latest sensor quality over other drawbacks.
3. Those that want the most appropriate backup body
4. Those that want a compact setup in FX.

Bound to be other reasons but I thought they were the main ones

Personally I fall into category 2 and 4. And 4 would be nonsense if the new range of 4.0 zooms and 1.8 primes were not already on the shelf.

If IQ no matter what is your thing that's cool, but I'm in the "FX for least bulk please" - a throwback to my luddite 35mm film days!

So, do you think Nikon has pitched it right availing us of a light FX SYSTEM now? I'm in the camp that says they've been genius.....

Regards, Ray

Visit: My Nikonians Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D600, Lenses and compactness of overall system