Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Is it worth upgrading from D90 to D600?

vladiator

Auckland, NZ
129 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
vladiator Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jan 2009
Sun 27-Jan-13 09:07 AM

Hi all

For the last 4 years I have had D90 with 18-200mm VR lens. I loved (and still like) the setup for its convenience but deep down I have always dreamed of buying some of the Holy Trinity lenses in the future.

Suddenly and very unexpectedly, my amazing family gave me, as New Year presents, Nikon 24-70mm and 70-200mm VR2 lenses. Obviously I am over the moon, but now I am asking myself weather it is time to upgrade my D90.

As an upgrade path, I am thinking about D600. Typically, one is advised to carefully consider the cost of buying FX lenses before moving from DX to FX, but considering the above developments this should not be an issue. However, I would not want to make the purchase unless it actually provides me with an obvious improvement in the picture quality.

I have not had a chance to shoot with any of the cameras which came out after D90, so I am interested in hearing opinions regarding whether the newer technology found in D600 really makes for better photos - from the technological perspective of course (i.e. ignoring the photographer's talent, composition, supports, etc). Would you consider D90 as becoming a bit old and is it time for an upgrade?

BTW, I should mostly landscapes and travel photos. I cannot afford D800 and I am not considering any other DX cameras (if I do upgrade I will still keep my D90 and 18-200mm).

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Is it worth upgrading from D90 to D600?

G