Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Long exposure night photos with the D600?

Sujoy61

Calcutta, IN
144 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Sujoy61 Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Jan 2006
Thu 24-Jan-13 10:56 AM

I am presently using the D90 and have been doing some long exposure night shots of the mountains - exposure time are from maybe 15 sec to 75 sec. ISO has not been very high between 400 and 800. Some samples of these images are given in the link below:
http://www.sujoydas.com/Nepal-Himalaya/The-Khumbu-at-Night-NovDec/26959979_LpLcgN#!i=2259802279&k=8gXPRSZ
I was wondering if there would be better results if I upgraded to the D600. The lens used with the D90 was the 16-85VR.

I sometimes find that at 100% crop using capture nx2 and looking at the NEF file the mountains in the background are not pin sharp even though a tripod has been used. Not sure whether this is due to the long exposure because other shots in normal light are tack sharp?
Any feedback would be appreciated from photographers who may have used the D600 for night shots.
Thanks a ton

www.sujoydas.com
Photographs from the Himalaya
www.sujoyrdas.blogspot.com
My Blog
www.facebook.com/sujoyrdas
Facebook

G