Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
mpage

San Jose, US
351 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
mpage Registered since 29th Jun 2004
Thu 10-Jan-13 12:39 AM | edited Thu 10-Jan-13 12:44 AM by mpage

Here are the results for the first cleaning of my D600 after 1000 shots. I used a 105mm f/2.8 set to f/32. I used the test image method by shooting the computer monitor with a white Photoshop background and the auto levels adjustment on the resulting images. I flipped the images to represent the correct orientation to the sensor. I also converted the images to B&W to eliminate the color noise.

View the following link for the test image process:

http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/inspecting.html

Note: If you do not see any difference when applying auto levels, it means that you over exposed the image. Use a faster shutter speed and the auto levels should then work.

It took me awhile to get a hang of the process. My first attempts made things worse. I needed to use three swabs because I applied too much cleaning solution. It will not be as difficult the next time. I learned a lot from this first experience. Knowledge is one thing, but practical experience is quite another.

I used the FireFly blower, the Attic Butterfly, the Sensor Pen, and the Visibledust swabs and sensor cleaning solution.

I believe there was a minute amount of lubricant on the lower left portion on the sensor. I could see it in the before image, but I could not see it with the 7x loupe. It looks like something attracted the dust into a pattern.

I don't know if the amount of dust in the before image would have actually revealed itself in normal shooting situations. I will test this before the next cleaning, when I can shoot a blue sky.

BEFORE

Click on image to view larger version

AFTER

Click on image to view larger version

See the pinned post at the top of the D600 Forum, "Zen and the Art of Digital Sensor Cleaning", for more details on cleaning tools and methods.

-Mark-

My Nikonians Gallery

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: First Cleaning
          Reply message Blue Sky Test Shots
               Reply message RE: Blue Sky Test Shots
               Reply message RE: Blue Sky Test Shots