Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D600 AF - Deer in Cades Cove

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10631 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Fri 30-Nov-12 06:43 PM

I've been pleasantly surprised by the AF system on the D600. It's very good. I've found it accurately picks up subjects in some very difficult situations. Most recently it was on a trip to Cades Cove in the Great Smoky Mountains.

Here are a couple of images.

This image was taken using the Nikon 200-400 lens. The buck crossed the road behind me and I had to quickly get out and shoot. The camera did a great job of keeping focus on the buck as he was jumping the fence. ISO 1600, 1/400 sec, f/5

Click on image to view larger version

This one is of a first year deer - probably about 6-7 months old. Again - its with the 200-400. The deer was with a group of does that were easier to photograph, but I liked the innocence of the fawn. The challenge was picking up focus in a very cluttered scene. There was lots of brush behind the deer, and even when it was in a clearing there were grasses in the focus area. The camera correctly picked up focus on the subject. Camera settings reflected the low light conditions - ISO 400, 1/125 sec, f/4
Click on image to view larger version

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera
Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

G