Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D600 focus point location - Q: limitation? A: Yes

EYeye

FORT WORTH, US
405 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
EYeye Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Sep 2012
Mon 19-Nov-12 09:10 PM

I shot a wedding and struggled with the fact that my tall bride (6'2") could NOT have the focus point (shooting single point AFC - focus point her far eye) on her eye and have the frame (vertical & worse horizontal) from head to toe (outdoor wedding in confined Japanese Garden space). Used 24-85mm VR due to plenty of light outdoors.

This got WORSE (of course) indoors using 50mm 1.4G (low light - KUDOS to D600 here - shot at ISO 3200 and occasionally higher up to ISO 6400 as DJ lowered lights for dancing). It was very hard (for me - YMMV) to "foot zoom", pan with shallow DOF (shot lots at f2 or f2.2), and focus and recompose, so I lost some nice shots to lack of optimum focus (have not yet been to LR4 - maybe I can save some).

What did I learn? YES - I do wish the outer focus point could be moved "higher" in the frame with the joy stick (both vertically and horizontally - AKA landscape or portrait), especially in tight places and with 50mm prime. This likely would be true as well for lower placement of focus point shooting animals low in a frame in landscape shooting, or BIF low to water. I'd want to move the focus point lower.

Also: I think that the 50mm 1.4G is a sharper lens than the DX 35mm 1.8 I shot in FX mode wide open. This could be DOF, as I had the same focus point issue and when recomposing at such shallow DOF sharpness suffers. On a BRIGHT NOTE: in camera vignette control on HIGH works on JPEGS with this lens stopped to f1.8 to f2 (shot RAW + JPEG fine - have not done post yet).

EYeye

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D600 focus point location - Q: limitation? A: Yes
     Reply message Thanks Stan
          Reply message RE: Thanks Stan

G