Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

U1/U2 vs. Custom Banks

MotoMannequin

Livermore, CA, US
8582 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM
MotoMannequin Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Registered since 11th Jan 2006
Thu 13-Sep-12 06:32 PM

I know a certain influential blogger has gushed over the U1/U2 dial on the D7000, now replicated on D600. As a D7K owner, I'd like to put a counter-point out there, and maybe collect some opinions from other Nikonians who have found move love for this feature than me.

I find U1/U2 unintuitive and not nearly as useful for me as the (also, I admit, unintuitive but in the end more useful) custom settings/shooting bank selection from the Dx & Dxxx cameras.

Let me walk through how I work, so others can see why I don't like U1/U2.

My typical shooting is either Lanscapes or Birds in Flight. I also like to have a "green" mode for shapshooting which is basically my Landscape mode at f/8 + auto ISO and without any mirror delays.

You'd think I'd set up U1 for landscapes and U2 for birds.

Problem is, my landscape shooting is about 60% aperture priority and 40% manual exposure. Because exposure mode is on the same dial as U1/U2, I can't work within a user bank and modify my exposure mode.

So, I think maybe PASM is my landscape mode, U1 is for the birds and U2 is "green" mode.

Aha. Shooting birds I'm probably 80% manual exposure and 20% shutter priority + auto-ISO. So I can't use U1/U2 for that either.

In the end, I pretty much work on PASM and have to work through all settings when I change what I'm shooting, i.e. it's like the camera doesn't have user banks at all. I do use U1 for my most common landscape setting and U2 for my most common bird setting, so I can quickly jump to them in a pinch, but the user banks don't help me switch my camera between my shooting modes at all.

Ultimately, there's some issues with the pro-body custom setting/shooting bank. Switching them is buried in the menus and I still haven't figured out why they are not tied together. But, here I utilize the favorites menu and access to them is reasonable. The key is, because these are not in any way tied to exposure mode, I can freely work whatever exposure mode I need within my custom settings. Because of this, I find this way much more useful.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: U1/U2 vs. Custom Banks

G