Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

First HDR attempt....It's not the camrea's fault....

JohnE Nikon

New HArtford, US
932 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
JohnE Nikon Registered since 15th Jun 2010
Wed 17-Oct-12 04:08 PM

I tried my first HDR last night.

Technically I made a major mistake.

I have been using auto iso more than with my D7000. The auto feature which determines my lens focal length is a great feature especially in low light without flash. I have been using this when doing general walk around photography. I like to keep the shutter speed 1 stop faster than the normal auto minimum shutter speed for a given lens. (ie 50mm lens shutter speed 1/100 sec) Whatever lens I have on now I know a quick shot will be sharp with good technique. The ability to go into auto iso with the sub command dial is a welcome addition.

Like all good things there are downsides. I tried bracketing a shot last night w +/- 3 stops. I forgot I was using auto-iso. I did this hand held due to time constraints. Instead of changing my shutter speed my iso was changed.... Obviously, because I had auto iso on. I didn't realize this until I tried to process the images... A little too late. I shot at F/5 1/160 sec, 1//100 sec, 1/100 sec w my 50mm prime. My iso's were 100, 560, and 4500.
Live and learn.

I use Nik software which gave me warnings that a 3 stop difference may result in artifacts. I went ahead and processed anyway.

The story ends on a positive note.

I was happy with my image despite all my technical shortcomings. (Hand held, high iso, too high a stop difference between images)

See below.
It may be too vibrant/ over done for some but I liked the drama for this picture. I welcome any comment.

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

JohnE Nikon
https://plus.google.com/photos/104310967428146619677/albums?hl=en

https://picasaweb.google.com/104310967428146619677

"Cameras and lenses are simply tools to place our unique vision on film. Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colors and your images will stir the soul." Jack Dykinga

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G