Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Cagger

UK
30 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Cagger Registered since 21st Sep 2012
Mon 08-Oct-12 06:03 AM

My D600 arrived.

Smaller than I expected I suppose - about the same as a D300 which I am used to.

No green shift in either the LCD or the images.

However a marked purple fringing - CA - along areas of high contrast using a good lens wide open at 1.4 but which disappeared by 2.2 - 2.8

This surprised me as I had nover noticed this on film - or shooting DX. In fact I re-visited some old D300 images taken with the same lens and there was no CA there. The D600 is meant to correct CA automatically and it certainly hasn't done here - or else without the auto correction, the CA is so extreme that it scarcely bears thinking about.
It is easily corrected in LR so it isn't a big deal I suppose but I am disappointed that it is there at all.
Could it be the camera?

I think that I'll go along to a shop with my lens and try a few shots on demo models to see if there is any difference.

What a waste to have a scene mode on a camera of this level. I'd rather a U3. A shame that scenes are not user configurable.

I also bought a 28-300 lens as well as a general walkabout lens. I normally shoot much shorter primes but I like to have something with a bit of reach for some casual fun. For years I've used an 18-200 on a DX.
What a mistake. The weight of the 28-300 is too great to keep it still - for me anyway - and I expect that I will sell it on quite quickly and look or a smaller lens.

The 28-200 G lens is very plastiky but light and so it will have to do - even if it might have to be a silver one!!
With 24mp I can easliy crop long shots with excellent results.
For the moment I have set U2 for long lens use - higher ISOs, so that I get higher S speeds to help reduce the effects of the lens waving around.

I have to say that for the last couple of years I have been shooting a lot with a Fuji X100. I've really become attached to light weight and the EVF.
I'm on the verge of selling off my DX kit. The forthcoming release of the Fuji 1-ex may be the factor which prompts that final decision.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Another D600