Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Welcome To The *NEW* Astrophotography Forum!

nrothschild

US
10916 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
nrothschild Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Registered since 25th Jul 2004
Thu 23-Aug-12 12:40 PM

For many years the staff has talked about the idea of this forum. It has finally come about

I will be acting as the forum moderator. By introduction I have had a lifelong interest in astronomy and astrophotography, going on almost 50 years now. I own a couple of Questar tescopes (3.5" and 7") as well as an 8" SCT that was also my first astronomy gear mistake (not a very good one, as these things go, I should have bought a Celestron!).

I am also a wildlife photographer, which requires long focal lengths. So I also have a big interest in using my wildlife gear for my astrophotography pursuits and for many things a conventional camera lens can be superior, or at least easier to accomplish the same objective.

Since the mid-80's I've dabbled in astrophotography. My main interest is in capturing unusual or special events such as eclipses, occultations and planetary alignments.

(an occultation is an event where one heavenly object passes in front of another. The close object is usually the sun or moon)

This can be a highly technical and very expensive avocation. My own knowledge and gear list is fairly limited but I know where to go to get the knowledge needed to pursue this. Wherever my knowledge is limited I will try to pass on authoritative references for further research.

Astronomy and astrophotography can also be quite simple. We are going to cast a big net here because we have members covering that huge expanse of knowledge and experience. I want to particularly welcome beginners and/or those with a passing interest.

For many of us, astrophotography will be a specialty interest and not the prime reason we are photographers. So don't worry about asking what you might think are "stupid" questions. There are no stupid questions about this subject and whatever you ask will be the same questions many others have.

My objective is to concentrate on the basics, and subjects that every photographer can deal with without large monetary outlays. A hobby like astronomy or astrophotography can seem to have a huge barrier to entry, mainly the knowledge needed to get one's bearings. This will be the initial focus of my own contributions to this forum.

Once again, welcome to our newest forum!

my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Welcome To The *NEW* Astrophotography Forum!

G