Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

JPEG ARTEFACTS after converting D800 NEF to JPEG

Gerard Pas

Snowsquall, CA
4543 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Gerard Pas Registered since 10th Mar 2008
Sat 02-Jun-12 11:15 PM | edited Sat 02-Jun-12 11:19 PM by Gerard Pas

I’ve run into a bit of an issue with creating images for the web such as here at Nikonians. I shoot entirely in RAW / NEF. I’m not having the camera create JPEG copies largely because space as at a premium with the D800 even on my 64GB card.

Any image I like I’ll convert to a JPEG using ViewNX2 but mostly I use Adobe LR4.1 or PS CS6 with the new 7.1 DNG Converter. The JPEGS are then reduced to size meeting posting criteria such as here: 900px on the longest side at 150kb. Even at full resolution when a dark border touches a brighter border I’m getting some “jpeg artefacts”.
I understand why this might occur from a 45MB 14 bit loosless compressed NEF file @ 7,360pc X 4,912px then downsizing to a 780 X 520px 140kb JPEG file but I’m seeing it even at the full size JPEG after conversion – when viewing the file at 3:1.
The smaller files even have a combination of “rim” lighting (a halo) as can be seen in the submitted image below. Yes you have to pixel peep to see it but it’s there; look at the head where the black meets the blue.

Anybody else encountering this and if so what are you doing about it? Any ideas?

http://www.gerardpas.com/photo/birds/_DSC-0728_780.jpg

Nikon D800, AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR, TC-17E II
1/400s @ f/7.1, ISO 100, EV -0.7, aperture priority
Nikon SB 910, TTL EV -1.7, Flash extender
tripod, PS CS6 post processing

Gerard Pas

Ars est celare artem — It is true art to conceal art.
http://www.gerardpas.com

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: JPEG ARTEFACTS after converting D800 NEF to JPEG