Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

A Long Tele Option for the D800

JHzlwd

Calgary, CA
458 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
JHzlwd Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 03rd Oct 2007
Fri 25-May-12 10:02 PM

Colleagues,

The D800 offers the prospect of high resolution wildlife and other nature shots. An "exotic" Nikkor telephoto is the best choice to exploit this capabilty but after shelling out for the D800 body finding $6k or more for a long lens could be challenging for many. I have had the Sigma 150 - 500 mm for several years and often obtain excellent results with the D7000 which has absolute resolution similar to the D800.

Recently I thought ... why not give the Sigma a try on the D800? I have prepared a web page with commentary, advice and some simple visual demonstrations based on my experiences with the D800 and that lens. If I get enough "hits" I will expand the page. To make a long story short, you can do some impressive work with the Sigma and a D800 so long as you can live with a rather slow telephoto and an OIS that takes 2 seconds to engage.

http://www.wolfwillow.com/Photo/WPhoto/PhotoTopics/CR_D800/SIGMA_150_500/WPTNikon_D800_SIGMA.php

It's no Nikkor in terms of versatility but you might be surprised at just how good IQ can be - and only $1100.

Buy a Nikkor but, if you cannot, this may be the best bet until you save up your cash for the best

Best wishes,
JH

http://www.wolfwillow.com/Photo/WPhoto

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: A Long Tele Option for the D800