Sat 19-May-12 04:47 PM | edited Sat 19-May-12 04:54 PM by Benkoop
So this is the first time I encounter moire with the D800E in a shot I was preparing for print (20x30inch). Here you see what I made of it in Lightroom, it took about 4 minutes:
The structure of the bricks is actually lost in the capture by the moire, so I don't think it can be restored a lot more . Here you see how it should have looked like (from another shot):
Because I took more shots of this scene (this one is the composition I want to use), the really proper way to do would be to clone from one shot to the other. I am too lazy to do that now - I just wait and see how it will look in print.
Here the complete picture with the moire removed, to see everything in perspective:
34mm (24-70/2.8), f8, 1/800 handheld, iso 320
So I wonder what you folks think, is this acceptable as it is now?
Thanks Larry and Ron. The building is the National Maritime Museum (Scheepsvaartmuseum), at walking distance from Amsterdam Central Station. This shot will be in print next week and I wonder how the moire area will show up in that. I am curious how other people deal with the moire whenever it shows up.
Nikonians Academy trek leader, Jim Stamates, said he got moire with some bird feathers and rock formations when he first got his D800E. The last time I asked him how get was gettin on with the camera, he said he had not seen moire again. Maybe we could get him to give us an update.
You got rid of the moiré from the color channels, which makes it a lot less obvious, but there's still some banding present in the luminosity channel. It's probably acceptable as-is, but can be improved further. Do a search on using LAB mode to remove moiré and you'll see an option to improve this further.
This video has two parts, the first part is about the colour component of the moire, and the second part about the luminosity component. I played a bit with it, but found the latter part not working here (I think because the texture is damaged and that cannot be repaired), so I left it out. The first part on the other hand - the colour treatment - gave me a more acceptable result than what I did with Lightroom:
I also just found an old tutorial where moire removal in Lab mode is discussed - I will try that when I am really in trouble:
No, I didn't. I discovered it a week after the the shooting, and I had been working with the file several times before I did. I saw it when I was preparing the shot for print - and I was really surprised when I noticed it.
I haven't seen any really serious cases of moire with the D800E on the internet up to now (serious for me would mean unfixable, not being able to use the shot), and that is really remarkable in the light of the feverish discussion on this topic on the net befóre the camera was released. These examples were fixed in Lightoom in very little time - no special skills needed.
>I was wondering if the moire might have been visible on the >camera's LCD. It might be worth taking a look at that shot if >you haven't re-formatted the card.
The shot is not om the card anymore. But I don't think I could have noticed it on the camera's LCD: it would have taken a thorough inspection with big zoom and that's too timeconsuming. I have noticed several times moire patterns on the LCD screen on brick walls or textiles which disappeared after I zoomed in, and also nothing to be seen on the computerscreen at home. So the LCD-image might not be a reliable aid for detection of moire.
>I have noticed several times moire patterns on the LCD screen >on brick walls or textiles which disappeared after I zoomed >in, and also nothing to be seen on the computerscreen at home. >Wim
I've had the same with my D3x Wim - moire all over the place on the LCD but nothing visible when looking at the the same shot on a PC. I'm beginning to wonder if the LCD is any use at all - it's ok at night but I can't even see it in anything brighter than medium sunlight!