Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikon Lens Suggestion Needed for D800E?

davidhunternyc

New York, US
22 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
davidhunternyc Registered since 15th Apr 2012
Thu 17-May-12 05:30 AM | edited Thu 17-May-12 05:33 AM by davidhunternyc

Hello,
This is my second thread I'm started here. It is a privledge to get to know all of you. A few weeks ago, I set out to do the near impossible. I photographed a wedding using a Nikon D800. The impossible part is that I have never photographed a wedding before nor have I ever used a DSLR before. The only camera I own is a Fuji X100 and, even though I love it, it isn't up to the task of photographing a wedding. I rented the D800 for two weeks (along with a sb900 speedlight, 70-200mm 2.8g and 50mm 1.4g lens). I payed for a few lessons and then I was on my way to the wedding. I was conservative with my ambitions and I walked away very happy with the results and with a few lessons learned. As much as I love my Fuji X100 and hate large camera systems, I was spitten with the D800. It is one ugly machine but my does it take beautiful photos. I want one. I am about to pull the trigger and get a D800E. The question I have for all of you is that I just want one lens to start with. Which one should I get? Sometimes I think of the 24-70mm 1.4g but the thought of carrying around a large and heavy lens around with me all day long is depressing. The other option is the 50mm 1.4g. Since I used this lens during the wedding, I am suspicious of it. At 1.4, the lens seems to have problems auto-focusing and there were some oddly focused photos during the wedding that were of something else other than the subject. At 1.4, I wonder if it is too soft also. I did some research and I discovered that my concerns are echoed by others. I have also since read that perhaps there are focusing issues with the D800 and the 50mm lens I was using might not be the culprit. The D800 camera I used was one of the first in the U.S. Since I no longer have the camera or the lens, it is too late to play detective now. So back to the D800E and a lens suggestion. How about the 35mm 1.4g? Like I said, I will be using the lens to take photos of people and sites here in NYC. Your experience and help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Nikon Lens Suggestion Needed for D800E?

G