Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 finally got to Oz

RodW

AU
116 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
RodW Registered since 25th Mar 2012
Tue 15-May-12 10:11 AM

Well, I have finally been rewarded for my patience. I ordered my D800 on the 10 Feb, 3 days after the announcement and it finally turned up today. I had taken a lens to work waiting for this day to arrive and was lucky enough to get the call around lunch time so I had time to pick it up and charge the batteries before going for a wander around the Brisbane River precinct as the sun set.

I compared notes with a Japanese tourist half way accross the bridge. He had a Canon 7d and a 600mm or so lens there. He showed me an awesome photo he took of a bird He had captured and while we could not speak a common language, the language of photography formed a bond (even if we did not agree on the choice of brands), please forgive me for mentioning this indscretion. Sadly, I had nothing to respond with..

I have got so much to learn graduating to a pro level camera and the ability to use high ISO's (well for me anyway as I could not really go past 400 ISO on my D40) was pretty awesome.

The lens I used was a 24-85 AF-S f3.5-4.5 so it probably was not a good test for sharpness but I wanted to find out if it was worth servicing this lens I bought 7-8 years ago to see if I should sell it or get it serviced and I did not use it much on my DX body so would not miss it while it sat in my drawer. I have yet to check out my pics yet, so don't know if the lens is a keeper yet or not! I was thinking I will do a similar walk over the next week or so with different lenses each day eg. my 50mm f1.4, 16-35 and maybe even my 70-200.

Has anyone used the 24-85 on the D800? Is it a keeper?

Rod W
Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D800 finally got to Oz