Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Non AI lenses with D800

TBF

US
24 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
TBF Registered since 24th Apr 2012
Sun 13-May-12 01:46 AM

I have a D800 "on order" and have been currently shooting with a D5100. The 5100 shoots fine with my old 1960's era 55 mm 3.5 Micro and a few non Nikon lenses (Soligor 400 & etc.) This despite phone support info that strongly discourages such use. My experience with phone support in general has been bad. Hard to get personnel with an adequate background in camera tech I would imagine. THE question: can I damage any part of either camera by mounting these old lenses. I understand that I lose AF, AE and all that, but until I can afford to purchase more AI lenses I would like to be able to use these (and purchase more older glass). The price of non AI 200mm F4's and similar old glass is very appealing. No replies please informing me of what I am giving up nor suggestions that buying a $3000 camera and an $80 dollar lens borders on insanity: I am only concerned that I can mount these lenses without damage.(I have had some difficulty dismounting the 400 with a 2x doubler, but I eventually pushed all the right release levers) Sorry if this makes some of you cringe. My current modern glass kit is the 18-55, 55-300, 85 macro and 28-300. That old Soligor 400, by the way produces some very sharp photos in careful tripod tests. Yes, I know, "Compared to what?" You got me there. Tom Forker

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Non AI lenses with D800

G