Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Auto-focus lock on (vs. chattering) in AF-C

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5701 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004
Thu 10-May-12 02:54 AM

This is not exactly about left side focus issues.

I have never in use noticed an issue with my D800 and focus due to the left-side focal points. And I've tried. I just returned from two weeks, read yet more posts, so spent some hours tonight experimenting, and realize I have a different AF focus question.

I've found on my D800 is that it focuses fast, but it does not settle into a focus as solidly as my D300 did. Often (I'd say more often than not) on AF-C and even single point, it chatters continuously, and if you watch the focus indicators they flash back and forth with the dot showing and disappearing.

The shot generally comes out fine. It appears to be making very slight changes in focus. I am doing this with numerous lenses, all AF-S, most new. I also shoot in focus+release priority, and I THINK that some shots are slightly out of focus as I hit one of the off-focus points in its cycling in/out as it hunts.

Generally speaking I ignore this. The shots are in good focus for the most part, the focus is fast, better than the D300.

But... like always, some shots are not in focus. Like all cameras before it.

But am I in fact getting better focus when it works, but the lack of (my guess) dampening on its algorithm is making it hunt more than it should, and sometimes I get it during a more extreme excusion about the focus point?

Do others find it "chatters" more as it tries to focus? Do you shoot on "release" or "focus + release" and do you get a few out of focus shots because of it?

Have all these postings made me a bit paranoid about a camera working very nicely? Seriously -- in real world use, it focuses VERY well. but even in real world use, it sure chatters more than my D300.

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://captivephotons.com

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Auto-focus lock on (vs. chattering) in AF-C