Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Facial Recognition Display

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5702 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004
Thu 10-May-12 12:47 AM

I don't know if I am the only one struggling to understand face recognition on the D800. Notably in still (not movie) and not in live view.

I stumbled across something that may be documneted but I cannot find it anywhere. See the attached image taken with a cell phone of the back screen of the D800. This image shows the little navigation window that appears when you hit the zoom botton. It appears for a couple seconds then disappears. Notice inside the image, the square rectangles over the faces.

Click on image to view larger version

This is the only place I ever see indication of facial recognition working in normal use. Once displayed, you can cycle the zoom among those points by the front command dial.

These images were shot in AF-C mode, variously in single or nine point generally. NOT in full auto.

The actual focus point won't appear on this screen when zoomed, but I did compare and while often the focus point matched a face rectangle, often it did not.

I don't know quite how to make use of this, but at least it is a way to tell (apparently) whether or not the camera was aware of facial information.

Is this documented somewhere, or just a hidden feature?

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://captivephotons.com

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Facial Recognition Display