Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 problems ... real or not ... Mirror Scratch !?

Timbo1961

Pickering, ON, CA
60 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Timbo1961 Registered since 09th Oct 2008
Sat 05-May-12 12:47 PM

I have been reading a lot about the D800 problems and all of a sudden many folks are complaining about every little thing here and there.
Yes, I agree that the left focus points giving inaccurate focusing is a problem and hopefully Nikon will have a fix whether this is an easy firmware fix or is it a hardware issue that will require the camera to go to the shop.
However, I do have to post about all of the mirror scratches people have been complaining about.
I have SN XXX289 so it is a really early one. I looked at my mirror and yes ... it is "scratched".
However, if you realize that mirrors on these modern dSLRs are beamsplitters, if you raise the mirror slightly you will realize that what the scratch actually is, is the edge of the opening behind the mirror where the AF light is allowed through to the bottom sensor. Obviously on the D800 the properties of the mirror beamsplitter are different than my D3S or my D300s. So you can see partially through the mirror and see the edge of the opening.
Anyways, just my observation of the mirror "scratch" issue...
My D800 has performed flawlessly and this is all that is important.
I have tested my left side AF points and they do need glasses but in the 2500+ images I have taken, I don't think I used them... I had to go and seek out this problem.
Anyways, I hope this puts one issue to bed.
Tim

TimMcGillPhotography and TMStudios

www.timmcgillphotography.com
or
www.timmcgillportraits.com

Sports, Events, Gigs, Beauty, Fashion, Glamour, and Boudoir

G