Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Back LCD glass on D800 - what is it?

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5750 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004
Sun 22-Apr-12 01:06 PM

Contrary to some prior releases, I have read very little from Nikon on the glass on the D800 (I did see the issue with fog reduction).

Is it the same, or as tough, as a D300?

I haven't had a LCD cover on the D300 for years, and it looks like new. Whatever it is made of is adequately tough for the way I use it without the cover.

I've been using the D800 that way as well, but would be reassured a bit if I knew it was similar quality glass. All I can find is "tempered" (which mostly means, I think, if I break it that it breaks into lots of pieces instead of one or two).

Does the little note from Nikon maybe mean it is not as tough? Or just that "of course all our glass is tough we don't need to say that"?

Has anyone heard anything?

PS. This is a bit like the arguement over protective filters -- I am not trying to talk anyone into taking theirs off. I was very happy with the D300 "naked" and just wondering if there is any reason not to think the D800 would be as good?

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://captivephotons.com

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Back LCD glass on D800 - what is it?

G