Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
km6xz

St Petersburg, RU
3571 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009
Thu 19-Apr-12 05:59 PM

I am heading out to the US Tuesday morning and it looks like I will not get to any stores with the D800 in stock....since no one is either, I had a subjective sort of question for those with the camera and experience with D700, D3 etc.
How does the feel and materials impress you as to ruggedness? Does it appear to have the same, or less stoutness of a D700? how less rugged does it appear than a D4/4? I do want a FX camera and any of the better examples would be fine with me, a D800 or D3s and in a reach, a D4, even those are differently targeted cameras with different strengths. I would be using it in event shooting where it gets a little banged up for 6-8 hours at a time. As a clue to how rough I am or gentle with gear, I've been using a D90 and D7000 and have had no indication that the D90 will not get another 80,000 shots to match its current total. The D7000 looks and performs like new despite its rough work environment. I tend not to break things but accidents can happen and investing in a new camera over $3000, it had better keep together in one piece. Repair means sending it half around the world and a serious risk of it being "misplaced" in shipping.

Also, how quiet is the shutter in Q mode. The D7000's Quiet mode is not distracting at all for theatrical, ballet or opera shooting.

As an aside, the new f/1.8 28mm FX lens sounds really interesting and at a reasonable price. Any ideas of when it will be in stores? I have a 24 1.4 which I love but would rather leave it at home if a cheaper but optically good wide prime was available for events.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Build/feel