Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800E: Worth The Extra Price?

orftoden

Lakewood, US
196 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
orftoden Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jun 2008
Sun 22-Apr-12 04:58 AM | edited Sun 22-Apr-12 04:59 AM by orftoden

Long time lurker here...

Now that example photos are pouring onto the internet from the D800 & D800E, do you all think that the D800E is worth the extra cost?

I shoot mainly landscape photos using a tripod. I do not plan on shooting any video. My lens selection will include the 24mm pc-e, 85mm pc, Zeiss 35 mm f/2, Voightlander 58mm 1.4 the 17-35mm, the 300mm F/4 and the 80-200mm. I do not plan on purchasing new glass any time soon (other than that 15mm Zeiss... looks pretty tempting, but over my budget). I also don't print large often, but the capability would be an added bonus.

The D800E sounds like the perfect tool for my needs, but I am not sold yet. I am concerned that the D800E would not add any additional performance unless conditions were perfect. For example, I doubt that the D800E would out perform the D800 when using a lens like the 80-200mm F/2.8. Also, it appears that the D800 files can be sharpened to look almost identical to the d800E files.

The two questions I have that could sway my decision are as follows:

1) Will a D800E file look noticeably sharper (e.g., 300$ sharper (; ) than a D800 using a lens that is perhaps not quite up to the resolving power of the 36mp sensor (Say the 80-200mm)?

2) Is the end post-processed result from the D800E compared to the D800 that much better to warrant the additional cost? (i.e. What happens when you sharpen the D800E original files?-- do you get a file that is good enough to set a new sharpness standard or is that as good as it gets? From what I have seen so far, the D800 sharpened files can come pretty close to the D800E files.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

P.S. I also apologize for creating a new thread. I have read the existing threads and it seemed like they were full of information from people making recommendations before the cameras were available to the public.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D800E: Worth The Extra Price?

G