Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Got the D800E today and started playing around

LuisGonzalezLT

Macedonia, US
969 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
LuisGonzalezLT Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Nov 2005
Tue 24-Apr-12 02:48 AM | edited Tue 24-Apr-12 02:51 AM by LuisGonzalezLT

First thing I did was try a quick D700 to D800E resolution test. Here are the crops from that.

Subject matter NOT exciting. I upsampled the D700 crop in PhotoShop to match the D800E crop. Nikon 200/2 VR1 on a tripod with VR off at F/4, liveview at max magnification for focusing, ISO 200 for both. All I did was swap the camera bodies between the shots and refocus, exposure delay mode turned on to eliminate mirror slap, etc. Obvious difference in resolution as expected.

Next thing I have noticed is that the JPG embedded in the NEF file, the one used for preview on the LCD screen and also by the Windows, Mac OS, etc operating systems to show the thumbnail, is not the same size between the two. When I do the JPG extraction (using Bill Claff's NEFUtil.exe version 1.9.0) from the D700 I get a full 12mp 2832x4256 jpg. From the D800E I get a 1.7MP 1080x1632 jpg. The 1080 vertical size being suspiciously the same as 1080P video. For grins I extracted the jpg from D90 and D200 NEF files and they are both full resolution. I think this smaller embedded JPG is something new for the NEF format. Perhaps Bill's program needs to be updated for the D800E? I'll ask.

Need to wrap it up for the night and will be doing more comparison testing over the coming weekend.

Luis Gonzalez
Everlasting Photography, Inc.

G