Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

EN-EL15 Battery Recall

dmenges

Rochester, US
2223 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
dmenges Silver Member Nikonian since 26th May 2004
Tue 24-Apr-12 11:58 PM

I saw one mention of this recall on Nikonians and a search showed no others. If you have a D800 (or when you get yours) check the battery as described below. The battery that came with my camera was bad. The one I bought as a backup was not.

---FYI--- This was forwarded to me. It is NOT my text.

April 24 (news and commentary)--Nikon today announced a battery "service advisory" for EN-EL15 batteries. If you've got an EN-EL15 with an "E" or "F" as the 9th digit in the 14 digit part number, you should stop using it and follow Nikon's instructions...

http://www.nikonusa.com/Service-And-Support/Service-Advisories/h0ndzaip/EN-EL15-Battery-Recall-Service-Advisory.html

...to return it and have it replaced. Apparently there are multiple reports of short-circuiting that causes that battery to overheat and become a fire hazard.

Frankly, "service advisory" is too polite a term and too easy for people to ignore. This is a recall by any stretch of the imagination and should be labeled as such in the headline on Nikon's site. And to further label it within the text as a "voluntary" recall additionally softens the language. The bottom line is simple: continuing to use one of the affected batteries is a severe risk and should be avoided.

Unfortunately, EN-EL15s are in short supply at the moment (the V1, D7000, and D800--all popular cameras--use them). The affected batteries appear to be in two of the three latest production batches (starting in March 2012), thus D800 purchasers are getting them, but those owners also tell me that they've been having a hard time getting additional batteries. This recall is just going to exacerbate that problem. Still, the fire risk is too high to continue to use a D800 and charger with an affected battery.

Don Menges
Menges Technology Integration

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: EN-EL15 Battery Recall
          Reply message RE: EN-EL15 Battery Recall (Recall of Recall)
               Reply message RE: EN-EL15 Battery Recall (Recall of Recall)