Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800/D800E: HDR-feature?

btbschwarz

DE
74 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
btbschwarz Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning a Nikonians Annual Photo Contest Registered since 20th Jan 2009
Fri 10-Feb-12 06:35 AM

Nikon says ...
"The D800/D800E can shoot two frames in a single shutter release, but at different exposures: one overexposed and one underexposed. The camera then instantly combines them to create an image covering a wider dynamic range. The range can be widened by up to 3 EV for different looks, all full of saturation and tonal gradation, while the smoothness of the edge where the two exposures meet can be adjusted for a more natural appearance."
Would this be the same as saving two versions of one image (-1,5 and +1,5) in CNX2 and handing them over to a HDR-Software?
What I mean is, does the HDR-feature just make use of the dynamic range present in every shot or are there really two different exposures (one after the other? / simultanously?) in one shot?

BTW: My favourite is the D800E because ...
- D800E is a complement for the D700, not a replacement
- while happy with D700, allways wanted something equivalent to Medium Format = slow, deliberate composition on a tripod, excellent detail, no AA-Filter
- very attractive price
- D800E is delivered with/including CNX2 (D800 has only ViewNX), so the uplift is allmost negligible
- No Leica/Hasselblad/Mamiya/PhaseOne/... user is afraid of moirè-patterns, so why should I be?

G